Saturday, September 10, 2011

Around the World

So this post came about because of two things. Firstly, a request to post something as well as a thread about this that made me think it might make for a decent post.

I am going to go through a few of the more interesting places around the world I have had the pleasure of visiting. For logistic purposes, we will go chronologically...why not?

America & Canada - Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Banff & Seattle

While I was quite young (8 or so) I remember and have quite vivid memories of this trip. My most memorable part would have to be going up Grouse Mountain in Vancouver, mainly because this was my first real experience of snow, and coming from Sydney this was quite different to what I was used to.

England, Scotland & Austria
So to be honest, Austria was a bit of a side note and we really only spent a couple of days mulling around Graz and getting lost somewhere. England and Scotland was where I have most of my memories. I think some of the more impressive experiences (from my 9 year old point of view) would have had to have been Edinburgh castle as well as climbing Arthur's Seat with dad. Honestly England and London more specifically just seemed like a more crowded Sydney with shitty weather and a bit more traffic...I guess I was yet to develop an intense passion for the round ball game...

Japan
While learning Japanese starting from around age 12, I had the opportunity to visit various parts of Japan three times between 2005 and 2007. All three trips were fairly similar bar the family winter trip up north which was incredible. Spanning the country from Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Nara and Nagano I was able to witness the traditional architecture such as Himeji Castle, Kyomizudera Temples, as well as the buzzing modern parts of Tokyo such as Harajuku and Ikihabara. Naturally Hiroshima is a sobering experience, and on explaining to a Japanese man that we were Australian as he abused my father for being an 'American terrorist' one can truly scope the impact and subsequent demonstration of national integrity that came about following the unfortunate end to World War Two.

England & Spain
In 2009, quite possibly the most amazing opportunity arose in the form of a football tour to various parts of the UK as well as Barcelona. I have previously written a post about the trip but quite honestly anything I write would not do it justice. For this purpose, I am considering posting up the diary I used to account the trip in a day to day fashion. If you would be interested in this, please leave a comment and let me know!! From training at Liverpool's academy to watching Espanyol at the old Olympic stadium to playing against a team of semi-professional Welsh players...all with my best mates, it truly was one of the best two weeks of my life. Once again please leave a comment if you would like to have a look at what I got up to!

Anyway, I know this doesn't seem like much, but each place I have had the pleasure of visiting has its own individual set of memories that would be impossible to sum up in a single post. Hopefully this can kick start my involvement in my blog and give me a chance to get back into the swing of things!

Whenever, wherever you are reading this, have a good day and I will see you on the dark side. Cheers,

Loads

1 comment:

  1. Hey nice to see a Post from you mon ami! About time you did.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions, let me know