Monday, June 28, 2010

RIP the 96

Hey guys, just a few quick things to talk about. First of all, I have just reached 96 followers.


Most of you may not be aware of the significance of this number, however for those of you who follow English football to any degree, you may be aware of what I am talking about. On the 15th of April 1989, 96 Liverpool fans were killed at Hillsborough Stadium, Sheffield. The entering fans bottlenecked at the gates, causing the stadium (that lacked seating) to become severely overcrowded. Those who had entered, and were at the front of the spectator pen, were crushed by the constant flow on unknowing fans being allowed entry behind them.


What made the situation worse, was the blatant mis-reporting that was conducted by the newspaper "the sun" later on. The publication laid blame upon the fans, rather that those responsible for the correct allocation of tickets and entry. As a result, the "Justice" campaign was ignited, in order to restore parity. The following "Taylor Inquiry" found the police to be at fault, hence granting solidity to the ensuing (and still current) boycott of "the sun".


I happened to be over in Liverpool on the 20th anniversary of the disaster, and the day we trained at Liverpool's academy, was the day of the memorial service. This is a photo of me in front of the "Shankly Gates", covered in flowers and both Liverpool and Everton jerseys in remembrance.


RIP THE 96........................

In other news, I have to apologize for not posting in 3 whole weeks. As I may have indicated, this year is a shocking one to undertake commitments such as blogging, as I am rather preoccupied with exams etc being in my final year of school.


As a result, i may be a little short of posts in the next few weeks as well, so if you could all be as patient as possible, I will greatly appreciate it.


Thanks guys =]

7 comments:

  1. We can be patient, Loads.

    Just as long as you don't let your blog judging duties fall by the way side, I think we can give you a pass! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how going a long time before posting goes. I simply dont have the time to blog daily. And I hate to say it, but most days I lack the inspiration as well. I don't feel like I have the substance yet to blog frequently. Otherwise I'd have to share snippets from my trips to the grocery store and cleaning the house.

    Le sigh.

    [later, gator.]

    ReplyDelete
  3. just started following your blog... hope you can follow mine...

    Can of Thoughts
    Vhiel's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's more important things in the world than blogging. Good luck with the exams mate.

    =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a nice blog, I'm a follower now :) Check out mine too. I would be grateful if you would follow me :)

    http://roseecoco.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amber: Thank you, and no i will most definitely not =P

    Dani: Thanks aswell hahah

    Vhiel: thank you, I will have a look

    Anthony: Thank you very much, I appreciate it

    Hannah: apparently yes =]

    Rosee: Thank you, I will have a look

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions, let me know